Thursday, September 7

Herzlich Willkommen

Well, I made it. I flew to Hamburg on Wednesday and arrived yesterday. My flight, although long, was comfortable and very safe. Thank you BA. I arrived in London and while waiting for my connecting flight to Hamburg, I met a German couple, who were on their way back from a vacation trip to Chicago. We started chatting, part English and part German, and I kind of took it as part of my intro to Germany. It eased my mind a bit about being open and comfortable with my german language skills.




I arrived in Hamburg and flin was waiting there to pick me up. IT WAS SO GOOD TO SEE HIM! Oh, I missed him so much. As we drove back to his place, I kept looking out the window to see Germany again. I love the feel here--it is completely different than the US.

After dropping off my stuff, we went grocery shopping for all my favorite german foods. We bought apple water (Apfelwasser), small bread (Brötchen), butter (Butter), meat spread (Teewurst), chocolate (Schokolade), and lots of other stuff. I am really excited for breakfast.

Now, I have jetlag--it is 5 AM right now and I have been awake since 3 AM--but I am really excited about this new adventure that I have just begin. Wish me luck!

3 Comments:

At 12:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome to Hamburg :)

 
At 8:50 AM, Blogger Three Heavens And Hells said...

Emily,
Congratulations on your trip! It's too bad we didn't get to chat in Wisconsin, but next time we meet, you'll just have that many more stories to share. And of course, a belated thanks for the card!

Joel

 
At 7:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Welcome, Emily. American in Hamburg for a little over two years now....Germany nearly 6 years. A TRUE Expat!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home