Wednesday, May 3

My Computer Saga

The 5 steps of grieving for a computer:

1. Learn to accept that your loss is real.

When my computer crashed after the power outage, I was in a state of disbelief. I thought, "No, it has to go to the main menu," but I kept getting the same screen of 'error'. I knew that I had a problem and there was no turning back.

2. It is ok to grieve.

I contacted Dell Support (which was actually better than I expected it to be) and finally, they broke the news that I had to re-install my operating system. In simple terms, delete everything and start again with a clean computer. At this point, reality of losing my files hit like a ton of bricks and images of all my documents, pictures, and music files were flying by in my head. I literally broke down in the office and started to sob! It was the worst that I have cried for in a long time. Thanks R. for the support.

3. Ignore your computer.

After I learned I had to re-install everything, I tried to contact someone that could back-up my files before deleting everything. Mills was great in helping me transfer my files into their system until I had a new operating system. After that was finished, I put my computer in the corner to 'think' what it had done. I was in a pretty angry state with my computer at this time. It has since passed.

4. Adjust to living without your computer.

After spring break, I couldn't fix my computer right away, so I used multiple computers all over campus and I am a regular at Stern. It was an experience.

5. Rejoice for your repaired computer.

Yesterday, I got all my files back safe and sound and my computer has a new operating system. I am still getting reacquainted with my computer...it feels a bit different but at least it is fixed.

Moral of the story:
BACK IT UP!!!

I know, I have heard of this advice tons of times but man, I wish I would have listened. Do it now...I am will never forget these rough couple of months.

Also, thanks to everyone who offered support, advice or a shoulder to cry on.
I really appreciate it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home